Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sepia Saturday #167 - 1890's Couple on Their Floating Home

Unkown 1890s couple on boat
I know absolutely nothing about this photograph of an 1890's couple on a boat, but I thought it would be perfect for this week's Sepia Saturday theme.  I'm not sure what you would call this type of boat, I'm guessing some type of flat-boat, but I'm totally clueless when it comes to boats.  It looks like this couple spent time on their boat on a river somewhere, perhaps as a home away from home or they may have even lived on the boat.  You can see a wooded area to the left and in the far distance what looks like mountains.  I've cropped the photo here, below you can see the actual  4" x 4" photograph in the white cardboard mounting that was popular in the 1890's. 


Sail away with more stories at Sepia Saturday!


16 comments:

  1. It's Kate and Humphrey aboard the African Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting picture! Doesn't look it would provide much protection from the weather, so hope it wasn't their home. Perfect for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is way bigger than the African Queen, but it is a river boat with steam power. Working riverboats used to include the whole family and this couple don't look like they are on a holiday cruise. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of pictures of people sailing down an African river for some reason - a la African Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he looks more like a Cyril, and she an Emily, but whatever their names, I wouldn't mind accompanying them on an afternoon cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her Frock Is Rather Pristine.I Guess She Was Not Hoisting the Main-Brace; swabbing The Decks:(or whatever else they 'do' on Boats!)Some sort of leisure trip going on here?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a puzzle, for sure. The boat seems to have the air of permanence, so I wonder if they earned a living on the water. I have a hard time imagining that anyone vacationed this way, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like some sort of barge, I wonder if that tarpaulin is for sun or rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a perfect picture for the theme, and we don't need to know anything about it - we can use our imaginations to solve the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, it's a great picture and even better that we have to puzzle it out ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unknown but superb for the theme nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is just priceless! I've seen a few other photos of this kind of thing, even from right around here in Minnesota. Amazing what some folks did and how they actually lived!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like the couple lived on that floating home, but hopefully for some time only. If they lived there permanently it would be interesting if there's a record of how they lived that way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The African Queen also came to my mind immediately!!
    Great shot!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...