Friday, June 28, 2013

Fashionable Friday - Lovely Young 1880's (Victorian Era) Michigan Woman in White


This beautiful young woman posed for E. Gillis about 1888 - 1891 in Lawton, Mich.  She is dressed in a white dress, most likely off-white or cream and I believe the dress may have a bustle so the 1880's date would work.  Her dress is high necked with tight fitted bodice and has matching ribbons down the front of the skirt.  The sleeves are of great interest to me as I don't believe I have ever seen anything quite like them - notice the odd loops near her wrist which appear to be holding flowers and then the sleeves extend down to the hands into mitts.  She is holding what appears to be a white puffy fan or perhaps a purse?

This cabinet card has a thick gilt border  with a beautiful scallop design on the edges.  I was unable to find any information on the photographer, E. Gillis.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a lovely portrait, beautiful dress and accessories. The gilt-edged frame really complements the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I think she is wearing fingerless gloves they fit very tightly and were all the rage back in the late 1800's. the poufy part of the sleeves are a mystery to me as is that purse or fan..or whatever it is. Regardless it is a wonderful photo:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the old photos from late 1800's to 1900's..such a different times..Beautiful dresses..I like all the history to these photos. .Thank you so much..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. .I love pictures from these eras..and I like how you find out the history..which I know is a lot of research. .thank you ..I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the old photos from late 1800's to 1900's..such a different times..Beautiful dresses..I like all the history to these photos. .Thank you so much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...