Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sentimental Sunday - A Trip to the Library?

One of the most exciting things that happened to me as a young girl was when I got my first library card.  I have loved to read books since about the first grade and have been a voracious reader ever since.  Going to the library in my home town of Mt. Vernon, IL was always such an exciting, awe-inspiring, experience.  There was something about exploring all the rows and rows of books and finding exciting new stories about people and places.  I could hardly wait to rush home and curl up in my favorite place and start reading.  Nowadays, I just go online, pick out new books and download them to my eReader - takes some of the excitement out of it .

This picture I purchased of a beautiful young woman holding several books brought back memories of weekend trips to the library.  Her beautiful dress, or outercoat is something I have not seen in any of the hundreds of pictures I have perused to try and date this picture.   I tried to find an era where hats like this were worn without success, although I intend to keep trying.  The photographer was Copelin of Chicago, N.W. Corner of Madson and State Streets and there are no identifying names for her anywhere on the picture.  However, I have decided this Cabinet photo was most likely taken between 1882 - 1888 by using this Cabinet Card dating timetable.  The front of this is a matte finish and the back a glossy yellow finish.

1 comment:

  1. Love that photo and I also appreciate the link. Looks like more links on the same page too and I have lots of photos I've been trying to date. Even with the books I have I'm still uncertain about so many of them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...