Friday, June 1, 2012

Fashionable Friday - 1860's Montpelier, Vermont Woman

1860's Montpelier, VT Woman
This Carte de Visite shows a  lovely Montpelier, Vermont woman sitting in a chair which is a very common pose for the times.  She is wearing the typical hooped dress, belted and although difficult to see I suspect her hair his held with a snood. It's also very hard to see, but I believe she is wearing a ring on her left index finger; that seems to me to be unusual.

This CDV was taken by S. O. Hersey, Photographer, State Street of Montpelier.  Because of the revenue stamp on the back we know this photo was taken between 1864 and 1866.  I very little information on this photographer but I did find him on an IRS Tax Assesment List on ancestry.com in Montpelier District 1 in 1866.


  



2 comments:

  1. The dress looks crisp and well-pressed. I bet it took a long time to iron a dress like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine all those dresses from the past were difficult to iron since they had to use those heavy "iron" irons that were heated in the fireplace. Now me, I just throw things in the dryer to get the wrinkles out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...