Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sepia Saturday #126 - Family Group Shot in the Front Yard


Ah, it's a family tradition to drag the family outside and pose them for a group picture in the front (or back) yard, usually in the summer when the weather is nice.  I had a hard time coming up with a photo for this week's Sepia Saturday theme, but I thought this early 20th century family, most likely posing in their own yard, was pretty close on theme.  I got this group photo in a lot I bought somewhere all marked on the back, "Grandpa Paul Owens and family."  There is no other identification of the subjects although I would assume the gentleman on the the left is Paul Owens and the woman in the middle his wife with the rest being their children.  I have no idea as to the location and it appears it could be spring as several of them are wearing jackets or coats. I'm not sure how to date this photograph - my guess would be 1920's or 30's. They are all dressed rather nicely so perhaps they were on their way to church.

Update:  Due to the bows in the girls' hair I am revising my date to early 1900's.

Check out more great group shots at Sepia Saturday!


12 comments:

  1. I think you are right they must be going somewhere. Why else would they be wearing hats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo is perfectly on theme -- group plus hats. I'd date the photo earlier based on the older lady's clothes. We can't tell the length of her skirt, but everything else feels more turn of the century and teens. I wonder if the older lady is NOT grandma since the identification on the back doesn't say Grandpa AND Grandma. Of course, she could be a step-grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you are right, it may be earlier, when I get the time I will do some more research on the hats and clothing.

      Delete
  3. A friendly looking family group. I'd say earlier too. The girl's hair bows are a fashion from early 1900s I think. I read the center woman as the daughter of Mr. Owens with her husband in bowler hat and children. The girl at back looks like older sister to the younger two girls.

    Did you notice the VERY BIG step on the house's back door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and Wendy may be right about it being earlier, will do more research later - have weekend guests here now. I believe the woman is his wife because I have other pictures of them as well. Not sure who the man in back may be, either a son or perhaps a husband to the girl in the back?

      Delete
  4. What a nice family. I love the hats, but even more, the big hair bows.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or perhaps they've just come back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet picture of a family - love the time period! Did you notice the man on the right is the only one not looking at the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those big bows the girls have. I think they were most popular a bit earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a nice shot, and I agree that it's probably earlier. I've never seen girls in the 20s or 30s wearing bows in their hair, these big bows that were popular around the turn of the century. Plus the shoes worn by the girl in the front don't look like that time period. I'm guessing they had the metal "buttons" on the side.

    That big step Mike pointed out leads me to believe the shot was taken on the East Coast where that seems to be common. I've never figured it out. Apparently it's also "popular" in parts of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...and thank goodness we do take those pictures....we've got to keep them going!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...