Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sepia Saturday #128 - You Belong To Me - Jo Stafford

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt relates to music, song, etc and as usually happens I never know where I'm going with the theme and where I'll end up.  I remembered that I had a pile of old sheet music I bought on one of my "antiquing" junkets that I had no idea what I was going to do with them, I just liked the way they looked.  This particular piece of sheet music is a song I have heard and liked my whole life except I have always heard it sung by one of my all time favorites, Patsy Cline.  The words and music are by Pee Wee King, Redd Stewart and Chilton Price, and was recorded previously by Jo Stafford in 1952 for Columbia Records.  I have to admit I had never heard of Jo Stafford before today (she was a little before my time) but evidently she was quite famous and had a beautiful voice.


This piece of sheet music was evidently a popular piece with the former owner as you can see by all the pencil marks on the second page.  I have no idea what all these notations mean as I know nothing about playing music, I just enjoy the outcome.


According to Wikipedia Jo Elizabeth Stafford (November 12, 1917 - July 16, 2008) was an American singer of traditional American pop music and jazz standards and occasional actress whose career ran from the late 1930's to the early 1960's.  Stafford was greatly admired for the purity of her voice and was considered one of the most versatile vocalists of the era.   She came from a musical family and was also related to Sgt. Alvin York a famous WWI hero.  The article is quite interesting and lengthy - I encourage you to read it if you are interested in the music of this time period. 

Here is a great YouTube video of her recording of You Belong To Me with different photo clips of her throughout her career by mr40sfan - she does have a beautiful voice:



For more great musical themes as well as other song-worthy posts, check out this week's Sepia Saturday.


11 comments:

  1. She has a very strong voice; I can see the people dancing, and the girl singing in a plush nightclub. Good show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan's prompt has sent a lot of us to the ol' Google machine this week. I didn't know Jo Stafford either, but how fortunate that someone put her on YouTube. She is lovely and has a beautiful voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listen to old 40s music on satellite radio, so I have heard Jo Stafford -- excellent choice. I collect sheet music occasionally, when there's something about the song or design that is really striking. This one has a lovely, smart layout with keyboard, graphics and photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely voice and a beautiful old style ballad. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW your link is to last week’s post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely song. I like Jo stafford but I think I also would prefer the Patsy cline version.
    It's interesting in the video to see her change thru the eras. She got prettier as she aged.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your post and the song was a treat! My favorite music is the 1940s era. Just love big band, the standards of that time, jazz, etc. I wasn't familiar with Jo Stafford, but glad you featured her in your Sepia Saturday post. She was pretty and had such a strong voice with a lower range similiar to Patsy Cline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, before my time too, but an enjoyable, rather serene interlude nonetheless, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before my time as well, but the music from the '40s era is great! I also love the classic movie musicals from the '30s and '40s too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post - very fun to be able to put music to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of her but such a beautifully clear voice, what a lot of hits she had.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...